Saturday, June 14, 2008

Copy and pasting

so for right now i am just copying some emails i had written to my family! since i dont get a chance to access internet i know my blog is really hurting! and I am sorry for that!
I will try to be better! but i cant promise much!
so this one was sent the first week i got here... before i even got to Dwangwa. A bit outdated but some of you might like to read it anyways!

so first thing i like is there are geikos climbing on the walls and i find them cute!!! haha! just had to put that in there! :)but i got here yesterday after like 38hrs of travel. i spent a week in toronto doing some pretty intense training and i just had yesterday, today and half of tomorrow of in country training.So air canada sucks a screwed up my flights. So instead flying flying to london, nairobi, kenya & then lilongwe, malawi. I had to go to frankfort first then to london. But first I had to miss my flight in frankfort because air canada didnt even book the flight for me. So im not a fan of air canada!! not that i was a huge huge fan anyways!
so today i went to the market. pretty crazy! im like an underground celebrety it seems. people like to stare and follow the white girl. espicially kids! really strange feeling... but i guess i will get used to it. And everyone is sooo nice! everywants to help you and get you to go on their bus! Well actually there are always some bad apples... and i have a story already. most people are kind, but some not so much like the one that tried to rob my today. I was at the 'bus station' Which consists of a millon ppl and 1000 buses... and everyone trying to get on one to go some where. and the buses arent really buses they are more like 15 passanger buses that they cram as many ppl as possible into. so i was talking to 2 guys ( i was with 2 girls as well) and we were asking how to catch a certain bus... when another guy came over. next thing i know i felt something on my side and this 3rd guy got his hands in my bags trying to steal my wallet which he does get his hands on only to have me run after him & my wallet scream and get it back as he tried to pass it on to someone else!!! lesson learned: my canadain wallet doesnt exsist anymore... now i need a malawi one. Neveer take all of my IDs with me. If I loose money... not a big deal. I loose IDs. big deal!
another interesting thing that came from today.. was how HOT it is in the day... nights are pretty cool. but noon is pretty blistering. and i was drinking sooo much water. When I thought about the fact that i was only twalking around and needing soo much water. For more ppl life is pretty hard and consists of alot ofhard manuel labour. And for the majority of them they dont have access to clean drinking water. Just some food for thought that hurt my heart when i thought about it.
For some logistical news... i will be living in dwangwa, malawi. which is about 200km north of the capital, Liliongwe. i dont have living arragements yet... i will set them upo when i get there. but i will be working with WESM(wildlife and environment society of malawi) I will be potentially working in two sectors. id say mostly based around water and sanitation. Although im probably going to incorporate some monitoring & evaluation cause im very interested in that.. and Im not sure how much of it organizations are really evaulating how well there projects are doing. so if they start they will be able to better see gaps & places to improve!
so the two things i will be working on are hygiene promotion and IGA(income generating activities) This are other things rural farmers, who farm mainly to eat, can do to create more income for themselves & have a better chance of getting ahead or supporting themselves when there is no food.
once i get there & access my organization im going to decide where i want to work & focus my energy! if you are like me.. you might be asking how this fits into a wildlife & environment organization!!malawi is over populated and there is ALOT of stress on the land. so the idea is that if people can be supported, ie. have irrigation systems to make sure their crops will grop, or they can have other ways of making money. they will be less likly to over-fish or hunt animals for food! So in a nut shell that is what I will be doing. I will probably write more on my blog as time goes on about my work experiences & just general day to day experiences!!

No comments: